Over time, Lemmy instances are going to keep aquiring more, and more data. Even if, in the best case, they are not caching content and they are just storing the data posted to communities local to the server, there will still be a virtually limitless growth in server storage requirements. Eventually, it may get to a point where it is no longer economically feesible to host all of the infrastructure to keep expanding the server’s storage. What happens at this point? Will servers begin to periodically purge old content? I have concerns that there will be a permanent horizon (as Lemmy becomes more popular, the rate of growth in storage requirements will also increase, thereby reducing the distance to this horizon) over which old – and still very useful – data will cease to exist. Is there any plan to archive this old data?

• DarthVader
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Just a note, lemmy does have a karma system. The default UI doesn’t show this but I believe apps like wefwef/memmy expose this data.

• CheshireSnake@iusearchlinux.fyi
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Yeah, Connect shows it too. But in my experience, at least with connect, it’s not reliable. The value changes (sometimes drastically). I noticed this early when my score went from ~80 to ~40 and checked if I had any comments/posts that were suddenly heavily downvoted (there were none).

Esit: Just checked with wefwef - points aren’t even the same between apps.

Edit 2: here’s a short discussion that touches on what I’ve mentioned.