• Flying Squid@lemmy.worldM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

I don’t like her either, but that particular quote of hers is wonderful and casting her as Guinan because of it was inspired.

And she did a good job as Guinan whatever I think of her personally.

I mean Shatner is a total dick but I still love Kirk.

• JohnnyEnzyme@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

I mean Shatner is a total dick but I still love Kirk.

Meh, I think I for one can respect Shatner’s “dickery.”

As in-- he’s a really good actor who never wanted to be typecast as Captain Kirk, and is rightfully a bit short with ST fans on average. OTOH, it’s not like he goes out of his way to stir shit up or cast aspersions. More like he’s typically wanted to be left alone by Trekkies & Trekkers, and I can understand that.

He’s also taken the time to write a lot of interesting books, some of them biographical, some of them about ST, and also do an interview series.

I would never in a million years expect that I could walk up to a big star in public and expect to be treated like some long-lost friend of a fan. Some stars are amazingly good with that, but that’s on them.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.worldM
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

It’s not about his reaction to fans. His Star Trek co-stars have a lot to say about how he was rude to them and just generally arrogant. He and Nimoy hated each other for years. They supposedly made up, but Shatner didn’t attend his funeral. His excuse was he was scheduled to do a fundraiser.

• Stamets@lemmy.worldOPM
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            3 months ago

They made up? Everything I’ve said showed that Nimoy died hating Shatner. Shatner was doing a Trek documentary and asked Nimoy to be part of it and Nimoy said no. So Shatner used footage of him anyway. Considering Shatner being, well, himself I wouldn’t be surprised if Nimoy said fuck him after 40-30 years and walled the prick off.

Edit: Shatner said in his 2016 book that they never made up and never spoke for 5 years prior to his death. That book? About his supposed friendship with Nimoy.

• Stamets@lemmy.worldOPM
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                3 months ago

I ended up checking on it. They didn’t.

Shatner did ask for Nimoys consent to be part of The Captains and Nimoy said no. So Shatner sent someone to a convention to record him and ask questions. Nimoy found out and was enraged and never spoke with him again in the last 5 years of Nimoys life. Shatner revealed it himself in his 2016 book about his relationship with Nimoy. In it he still down plays it by said “it was so small”.

• Stamets@lemmy.worldOPM
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    edit-2
                    3 months ago

I fucking hate that man. It’s why I am so insanely glad that I’ve gotten to spend a little time with a couple of my Trek heroes who are incredible people. Having Anthony Rapp on my PlayStation friend list? Glorious. I’ve messaged him so many times asking stupid DSC questions.

• JohnnyEnzyme@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 months ago

You’re in the ballpark with that stuff, but you’re also significantly off on a lot by my readings and understandings. For example:

• Shatner’s co-stars were annoyed with him not because he was rude to them per se, but because he was a line-hog, which could actually cut in to their future opportunity & salaries because they had less content online via ST. I’m not trying to excuse that, but let’s call the situation for what it is, and let’s also not forget that he took ownership of that later on, and had good relationships with Nichols, Kelly, Nimoy, and Koenig, with Takei and Doohan scorning him.

• Yes, he was arrogant, and I believe always was, but so are a tonne of leads, big stars, and very talented people. Yes, in an ideal world it wouldn’t be like that, but… what are you going to do? Reinvent humanity?

• He and Nimoy did NOT hate each other for any significant years AFAIK. In fact from my readings they clashed early, found a way to work it out, and were in fact fast friends for many decades until they had some kind of falling out late in Nimoy’s life. Please let’s not get it twisted, dude.

• Stamets@lemmy.worldOPM
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              3 months ago
              • Takei has outright said, repeatedly, that Shatner was a prick. Not line hogging or bad directing. That he was actively a shitty person to be around in any form and that he didn’t respect anyone around him. This is backed up by his having footage made of someone for a movie. Someone who, ahead of time, said he did not consent to the footage.

• Just because other people are pricks does not give him a pass to be one. Plenty of people work in positions just like him and aren’t nightmares to work with.

• That some kind of falling out is what I just described above. Shatner was making a Trek documentary and asked Nimoy to be a part of it. Nimoy categorically said no. Shatner then discretely recorded footage of Nimoy anyway, against his consent, and used that footage in his movie. Nimoy was furious and never spoke to Shatner again. Shatner then wrote a book about his friendship with Nimoy where his name was almost as big on the cover as Nimoys. In the book he admitted to doing this and them not talking.

• In that same book, Shatner demonstrates repeatedly why he’s an asshole by such things as getting angry that Spock got more fan mail than him.l and says the only reason they had any basis of a friendship was because Shatner saw Nimoy be a hard ass with contract negotiations so they started negotiating together.

• JohnnyEnzyme@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                3 months ago

I have no problem with the accuracy of any of that, and appreciate you laying out the details based on your readings and knowledge.

For my part, putting this all together in to ‘Shatner is a bad person’ is going way too far. To me he’s got his positive qualities and negative ones, and the negative ones mainly involve him being an asshole and little more. Well, I can live with that and appreciate his art and career no problem as opposed to people like Bill Cosby and Harvey Weinstein, who were obviously way, way more than just assholes to people.

Hollywood is filled with egoistic jackasses, and Shatner’s behavior is just a blip on the radar to me. Not to mention, he’s great fun to mock in certain ways! To wit, the greatest blog I’ve ever read: https://shatnerstoupee.blogspot.com/

• Stamets@lemmy.worldOPM
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  3 months ago

Dude. The people he himself called friends also call him an unrepentant asshole and a bad person. If that doesn’t make him a bad person, the people knowing him best calling him that, then I genuinely don’t know what will prove he’s a cunt to you.

You can enjoy someones art while being aware that they’re a shitty person and just because Bill Cosby is worse doesn’t give Shatner any passes either. The fact you’re comparing the badness of people to dismiss Shatners shitty behavior is just mind boggling to me.

• JohnnyEnzyme@lemm.ee
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    edit-2
                    3 months ago

Okay, mister high & mighty, sinless judge of people,
                    go ahead and give your specific references, books and page numbers, interviews and timestamps with Shatner’s colleagues calling him a ‘bad and shitty person.’

Take your time, and I’ll keep an open mind.
                    When that’s done, I’ll duly compare that to what I’ve read and heard from interviews, and attempt to fit the pieces together.

EDIT: And yeah, you sound utterly obsessed at this point. As if it was a nuclear disaster that someone didn’t share your extremely negative take on Shatner.

• Stamets@lemmy.worldOPM
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

Shatner does not get a singular pass on the being left alone by Trekkies when he churns out as much ST stuff as he can to get paid. Like I’m not going to begrudge him for doing Trek stuff but he doesn’t get to sit in the captains chair and whine about how people don’t stop asking about the ship.

• PunnyName@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      3 months ago

Feels like her original commentary was more born out of ignorance. And while I’m not condoning her actions, I understand them. And she’s since recanted and is apparently trying to educate herself on the matter, which is definitely better than some.

Then there’s the power element. When you’re in a position like hers, the word “no” will be repeated less and less, and that will definitely skew how you approach the world. Her getting backlash and a suspension could be the “no” she’s needed for years.

Let’s hope she grows from this.

• doublejay1999@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

So for me, making an insensitive comment as she did, is long way from being a “terrible person” as you put it. Maybe I’m old fashioned . IDK.