I think lasers are pretty wack when you think about them through this lens. A small, wand-like object in your hand can make light appear from seemingly nowhere. If it’s powerful enough it can set things on fire or blind people. Not to mention larger ones like laser cutters or the LLD, used to destroy missiles midflight. Thats sure to blow some feudal peasant minds

• DogMuffins
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I somewhat disagree. As you said people weren’t idiots, they just lack the contextual understanding we have.

Take a car for example. Even if you’d never seen a wheel, it would surely be easy to understand how it works just by seeing a car roll by. You may not immediately understand how its moving itself but I don’t think that means you would conclude its magic. You could think it’s biological, but honestly concluding that it’s a machine doesn’t seem that unlikely to me.

Also the internet… I think most modern people just think it’s magic really.

• QuinceDaPence@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

If you’ve only known stairs your whole life, a lift would seem like a teleportation device.

I once talked to a guy on Reddit who had a version of this turned up to 11.

I don’t remember the exact times so I’ll guess but it’ll get the point across.

He boarded the New York Subway at 8:42am September 11, 2001, and got off at 8:50am.

Dude was just having a normal day walking onto that train and the next station was in a totally different dimension.

• laivindil@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Judging from my years in networking, not only most people, but many in IT see it as magic.

• BarrelAgedBoredom@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Agreed, we’re still intuitive creatures. An elevator may seem otherworldly for a moment but that feeling would quickly fade once you saw the cables and pulleys causing the cab to ascend/descend. It may be one of those “I’ve never thought of that but it makes sense” sort of revelations over “this is impossible”

• FightMilk@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Especially because for most of history magic was accepted as reality by most people. So any aspect of the elevator that didn’t make sense to them, like the buttons and power, could be attributed to magic without much consternation.

Nowadays most (non-religious) people think “well there must be an explanation, I wonder how they achieved that, I’ll get to the bottom of this.” But before public schools, the scientific method, and an understanding of the natural laws, regular folk would just accept the unexplainable as magic, ghosts, demons, etc. People accepted that Hermes’ shoes just worked, or that Jesus could turn water into wine.

Humans are inquisitive creatures sure, but we’re also superstitious creatures who would often rather invent an explanation than admit we can’t explain it. And when you live in a world where even a rainbow or the stars are unexplainable, you get used to mythical explanations. You grow up with the people you love and trust giving you these explanations.

It’s the outliers who had the time and disposition — Aristotle, Newton, etc — that we celebrate today for bucking that trend. But they were the exception, not the rule. Archimedes may have spent the rest of his days studying that elevator, but 99% of his contemporaries would have said “By Zeus what a marvelous gift from the gods”, stared at it for a while, and then returned to toiling in the fields and quarries.