• fine_sandy_bottom
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

his parents seeing the “inevitability” of their son spending more time than they did growing up looking at screens, and explained they tried to get out ahead of the habit by introducing the boy to the ancient board game through ChessKid.com.

Anyone else see the irony here?

I’m a new parent and I’m worried about this too… I was thinking outdoor activities though.

• WoahWoah@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Outdoor activities as well, obviously. I think the point the parents are making is that kids are going to play games on their screens, so if, perhaps, they could get their child to play a game that improves cognitive ability, coping skills, problem solving skills, and socioaffective development, that would be better.

It also has an “IRL” version where the skills from the screen are almost directly translated over the board, which is helpful. That was the context of the win against the GM.

• Dkarma@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

I taught my kid to read before age 3 by introducing computer phonics programs very early on.

The parents were right and what youre implying makes you seem very short sighted

• fine_sandy_bottom
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

I taught my kid to read before age 3

Sure you did.

This comment makes you seem very… something.