cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

You’re right this is the stereotype with ‘japanese people’. But you got to be careful with stereotypes. Even if you hear them a lot.

People don’t like if you tell them “that’s the two character traits we’ve assigned for you”. Or it may be something that has been wrong for a long time and you’re the one helping to repeat false information. It may cause all sorts of misunderstandings. Especially for the person in the group who doesn’t comply to that… Just be careful with stereotypes. It’s kind of okay in this case, because we’re discussing the stereotype on a meta level, and it’s not that much of a deal to talk about stereotypes, but in real life i’d just keep it to myself.

• jeltebr@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Exactly that, it’s a question I answered, therefore I can’t ignore the fact that “people” have these stereotypes. I get what you mean with repeating these stereotypes, but it would be weird if that would make an answer more or less incorrect/insufficient. Emphasis on “people”, I myself don’t have any strong feelings about these stereotypes.

Having said that, these are things that will always exist in my eyes, people will try to get an indication of a person as soon as possible, even without the proper information, but that is a whole other psychological discussion.