Episode Information

No. Episode Written By Directed By Release Date
5x01 Red Directive Michelle Paradise Olatunde Osunsanmi 2024-04-04
5x02 Under The Twin Moons Alan McElroy Doug Aarniokoski 2024-04-04

Where to Stream Star Trek

Today we embark on the final season of Discovery. I’m going make a simple request: whether you love it, hate it, or are ambivalent about it, it would make me so happy if everyone could just be cool. Online discussions about Discovery tend to devolve into circlejerks or two minute hates, and some see the latter in particular as justification to moderate the places where these discussions happen with a heavy hand.

I’m not interested in that kind of community. Online discussions are healthier when everyone is respectful and moderators only need to employ a light touch. So in the words of an ace pilot from another great sci-fi show: I am a friendly, okay? We’re all friendlies. So, let’s just… be friendly.

• RBG
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

Agree with most of it. That intro with Michael riding on that ship at warp is exactly why I don’t like Discovery all that much. It’s always Michael, it’s got to be Michael. Plus the way this was used as you pointed out was just not good.

Also the reasoning to get Tilly back on board later, eh, don’t know, why not I guess. But why park a character at the academy teaching if you just get her back later with some half-baked excuse.

Same for Rayner, he has been retired as a Captain, despised working with Michael but of course she can persuade him to work as her Number One? Really? Sorry, but that does not make sense to me. I like him as a character though, so not too unhappy he sticks around.

But Michaels monologue about the progenitors at the beginning of episode 2 just nailed it in terms of what is not good about Discovery. Of course Michael recently thought about her existence, of course she has the drive to now look for answers the questions, but what if she does not understand. Always her her her. None of the other characters seem to matter.

I am quite excited they revive that progenitors plot from TNG, it is good material. However I am worried they only did so since they saw this is what saved Picard Season 03, fan service by bringing back as much TNG as necessary. So we will see. Cautiously optimistic, but it is still the Discovery that I don’t quite like.