I’ve heard that you should be using the appropriate stage3 archive for the profile you want to use, but what exactly are the differences between them? I’m asking this because I want to try doing a Hardened/SELinux/Musl/LLVM install, and there’s a profile for that, but not the stage3 archive. I was thinking of starting with either Hardened/Musl or LLVM/Musl. Any thoughts on that?

• ruinationOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Yeah, I’m aware that I still need to do the steps in the Gentoo Wiki for SELinux, I was just wondering if I just do the same step if I want to use other stage3 archives. As far as I understand, LLVM contains some predefined GCC fallback environment (and I think also a preconfigured list of known packages that still doesn’t work with LLVM, which they set to use GCC?), while switching to Hardened doesn’t require much manual configuration AFAIK, so I might just go with Musl/LLVM.

• phoenix591@lemmy.phoenix591.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

just keep in mind the hardened profile mostly kicks in at compile time by using a compiler thats had its defaults tweaked thanks to the hardened use flag., so you’d probably want to do a total rebuild (emerge -e world) if you want everything built from a hardened clang.

• ruinationOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

yeah, that last bit is kind of handy, last time i tried llvm on gentoo before moving to nixos, it was kind of annoying to have to manually enter packages that can’t use clang to package.use