When the xz backdoor was discovered, I quickly uninstalled my Arch based setup with an infected version of the software and switched to a distro that shipped an older version (5.5 or 5.4 or something). I found an article which said that in 5.6.1-3 the backdoor was “fixed” by just not letting the malware part communicating with the vulnerable ssh related stuff and the actual malware is still there? (I didn’t understand 80% of the technical terms and abbreviations in it ok?) Like it still sounds kinda dangerous to me, especially since many experts say that we don’t know the other ways this malware can use (except for the ssh supply chain) yet. Is it true? Should I stick with the new distro for now or can I absolutely safely switch back and finally say that I use Arch btw again?

P. S. I do know that nothing is completely safe. Here I’m asking just about xz and libxzlk or whatever the name of that library is

EDIT: 69 upvotes. Nice

• unreliable
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

The back door was crafted to be used by a very specific encryption key. You are are vulnerable if the attackers are specifically targeting you. If you are a tangent of a nation, you should be worried:)

• GolfNovemberUniform@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

Well idk what “a tangent of a nation” means but I have political opinions very different to what my nation wants me to have so it might actually be a problem for me

• 520@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 months ago

What they mean is if you are a affiliated with a national government. You might also be a target if you are very very rich.

If you’re an average Joe, they probably won’t burn it on you.

• The Doctor@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          3 months ago

It’s already burned by being discovered.

And, never underestimate the utility of a large botnet.

• ahal@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

He could be an average Joe who works in the IT department of a company a national government would be interested in.

• unreliable
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 months ago

I mean, appears a country is responsible for the attack after 2 years of preparation. If they don’t like you, probably was easy to send someone knock your door instead. Relax :)