I want to access an unrestricted desktop at home (preferably a docker novnc desktop container), from the very restricted office laptop/network.

The foundations are clear, started a docker container with novnc access published the porst, forwarded the required ports on my router, and i can access it from outside using my phone, or my own laptop, but can’t from the office.

The novnc landing page loads, but the connection to remote desktop fails, probably because the websockets connections are also blocked in office, so only the plain http(s) accesses are allowed (not even RDP is allowed).

(Not even dyndns providers are allowed, but i can note my current ip address in my phone :D )

Ofc i barely can install anything on office laptop, so i can create fe openvpn tunnel, etc…

Do you have some hints if it can be solved?

• nothacking
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Well first off, how nice/tolerant is your management? Do you have savings? Some companies can fire people over this stuff, other will just ignore it.

The easiest (and least likely to make anyone mad) solution would just be to bring in your own machine and use celular internet. This way your setup will be completly seperate from the company network, and they can hardly claim you were exposing them to malware or anything. On the other hand you might have problems accessing devices like printers without copying files back and forth (are USB drives allowed?).