• @Gluten6970@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    52 months ago

(banking app already don’t let you root or otherwise flash your device so I have given up hope in trying with them)

Idk why this myth keeps getting peddled. You can use any banking app on any custom ROM, rooted or unrooted (though I see no point in rooting these days). And even if an banking app blocked you from using their app…the mobile website exists if you really need mobile access to your bank.

• @frazorth@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      152 months ago

mobile website exists if you really need mobile access to your bank.

This isn’t actually always true.

• @Churbleyimyam@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        22 months ago

Yeah my girlfriend’s online-only business account can only be used via their proprietary app.

Been a royal pain in the arse for her.

• @jol
      link
      52 months ago

That’s not true. Specially with older banks, they don’t let you run their shitty apps on rooted phones. And some younger banks don’t even let you do certain tasks on the website, they are mobile first.

• @Sprawlie@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        12 months ago

No rooted phones for our App. No travel to specific locals and countries either. we hvae black lists of Regions of the world where you simply cannot login to your accounts due to overwhelming security concerns and lack of extrajudicial remediation should there be fraud.

• @toastal@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      42 months ago

This isn’t a “myth” they detect both root & custom ROMs so even if you wanted to use an unrooted custom ROM you can’t. Rooting your phone just to skirt around them should be the opposite of what they want as there is some security implications to rooting your phone. And the current solutions are all temporary workarounds til the banking apps find a new way to partner with Google to prevent modifications of any kind.

In my country, at least one bank has shutdown & discontinued their website which is often just the first domino before others start doing it too. My bank is slow to adopt tech, but their site was created to detect IE and Netscape Navigator. I would assume they would kill that website before upgrading it to actually work on the modern web where a fixed CRT isn’t the only screen size.

• @can@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      42 months ago

I haven’t rooted in a long time. What would make the hassle of going to my bank’s website worthwhile these days?

• @PlutoniumAcid@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      12 months ago

European banks require strong security. Even a web-based login requires 2FA using the bank’s mobile app - so if that app won’t run, well, no banking for you today!