Joe Biden said on Wednesday that he is considering a request from Australia to drop the decade-long US push to prosecute the WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange for publishing a trove of American classified documents.

• @fine_sandy_bottom
    link
    English
    51 month ago

He’s an absolute scum bag and is directly responsible for Trump’s election.

That said, my personal feelings about him are irrelevant. Whistle-blowers are an important part of democracy and must be protected.

• @deft@lemmy.wtf
      link
      fedilink
      English
      61 month ago

It isn’t whistle blowing if you’re using it for your own personal gain. Then it is just politics

He sold away his whistle blower status in my book when he was attempting to manipulate elections and wasn’t being 100% truthful

• @OneOrTheOtherDontAskMe@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        41 month ago

I don’t think he would have done that if we didn’t pursue him like a dog and threaten to throw the book at him, as a whistleblower.

If we’d given him proper whistleblower protections, he wouldn’t have fled for his life or intentionally jumped in our enemies pockets

• @deft@lemmy.wtf
          link
          fedilink
          English
          21 month ago

Nah that man has an agenda.

He’s basically a tattle-tale so he can benefit. Not a whistle-blower with the intent to help people like Manning or Snowden. He’s just an asshole.

• @OneOrTheOtherDontAskMe@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            11 month ago

I dont consider the release of any government secrets that SHOULD be public to be ‘tattle tale’-ing.

Can you detail his agenda, so that I can know what you’re meaning?

• @deft@lemmy.wtf
              link
              fedilink
              English
              11 month ago

Wikileaks and Assange have both tried to sell themselves as whistle blowers fighting for truth and while they have revealed evil and wrongdoing. They utilize Russian information networks and specifically place focus on the US.

In anyone reasonable’s eyes you would tell Assange isn’t a whistle blower, he is a player in the game and WikiLeaks is literally just another propaganda outlet like the rest of them that tries to act differently.

• @Knock_Knock_Lemmy_In@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      01 month ago

He’s an absolute scum bag and is directly responsible for Trump’s election.

How so? Everything released was genuine. Maybe the Clinton campaign shouldn’t have been so shitty.

Don’t shoot the messenger.

• @fine_sandy_bottom
        link
        English
        41 month ago

As you well know, the release was timed to maximise the damage to Clinton’s campaign. Assange’s hatred of Clinton was well established long before.

• @Knock_Knock_Lemmy_In@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          01 month ago

maximise the damage to Clinton’s campaign

No. Timed to maximise the exposure for wikileaks, to encourage more leaking.

Assange’s hatred of Clinton was well established long before.

More because she hates him. She was pushing to indict him after publishing the 2010 diplomatic cables showing complicit spying during her tenure as secretary of state. The same ones he’s now being held in prison for.