I’ll try keep this short and concise.

I’ve been on Fedora for about 2 months now and it is one of the few distros to have all the packages I use (albeit, via COPR).

I recently read an article about Void and it seemed very appealing to me. I’ve been wanting to move onto something more minimal, and Void, with Runit and with its scripts that it ships with, as well as giving me a new init system and package manager to learn, seems amazing.

In terms of getting all my stuff on Void, their package search suggests all the packages I currently need are available for it.

Only potential sources of trouble are:

• Hyprland is an unofficial package

• Pywlroots and Pywayland (for qtile Wayland) don’t exist, BUT there is a qtile-wayland package

• My broswer of choice, Floorp, will have to be ran as a flatpak, which may cause issues, especially performance issues, as I’m a serious tab hoarder.

I want to learn more about Void’s systems by using them, but I’m not sure if the transition is worthwhile.

Is the bootup/shutdown speed, and faster package management really worth it? Is it really significant enough?

• @dino
    link
    English
    31 month ago

Thanks for the link, so whats left is to have a proper rollback/snapshot feature. I know there are snapper integrations with btrfs for void. But they are not on par with e.g. Opensuse Tumbleweed.