• OpticalMoose
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Yes, my scanner works fine for the few pictures I’ve done so far. The only problem is that there are tons more to do. Plus some of them have been in photo albums for decades and I’m afraid to peel the plastic page cover off because it could peel a layer off the photo - I’ve already had it happen. And my scanner is a cheap all-in-one model designed for documents, so when it feeds anything in, they curve around a pretty narrow roller, which could damage some older photos.

I’ll probably send the albums off to a pro, since they have large format scanners. They can just scan a whole page at once and crop out the photos individually, that way they don’t have to worry about damaging anything.

I’m not too worried about the money, the toughest part is figuring out how to organize and catalog all these pictures of mostly people I don’t know. AI would be a huge help with organizing the images, but I can see a lot of people having a problem with it.

• sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.worksM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

You could use AI to do the initial tagging and cache the results in a SQLite database or something. That way everything remains pretty static while also saving you time.

• OpticalMoose
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I’ve already got a setup for tagging my own images, working on getting it GPU accelerated. But my family (us being people of color) are really adverse to anything involving AI, even if it’s local and right here on my own computer. No worries, though, I can make do without.