• EmperorHenry
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Weird. Old games sell better than new ones. I wonder why that could be?

• purplemonkeymad@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I think it’s like old songs, you remember the good ones, discuss them with people, and preserve them. The crap from then is mostly forgotten, so it only appears that they were all great.

• EmperorHenry
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Those are new games, right? Okay I actually looked. That article is probably bullshit.

They’re only counting triple-A games and they’re including sports games. Who the hell is actually buying sports games? It’s the same game every year with nothing new really.

I don’t believe that games like Elden ring, mario kart or Jedi survivor aren’t on the top of every chart either.

I just kinds skimmed the article, did they count steam sales? mom-and-pop game stores that sell older games?

• chatokun@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Agreed. I loved and still love Megaman X. Just replayed it recently and it’s remarkably short. I recall it costing near $70 when we got it. People would be rioting if such a short linear game came out at that price point today, which is why it’s bundled with 3 other games for $20 now.

• chetradley@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

Games people say they want: new IPs, platformers, indy games, local multiplayer.

Games people actually pay for: franchise games, annualized games, live service shooters, online multiplayer.

• johannesvanderwhales@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

The people who are vocal and discuss games on the internet are a small fraction of the population that actually buys games. Doesn’t mean there isn’t a market for that stuff. Gaming market is bigger than it’s ever been. Direct delivery makes it incredibly easy for small indie devs to get their games out there. But that’s not the stuff that’s making the most money