• @MareOfNights
    link
    English
    -11 month ago

Yes, because the democratic nations have democratically decided, that we want to consume more than is wise, that we want to retaliate for Oct 7 and that private property is cool, even if a few have more.

I agree, that mob-rule would remove billionaires, but how would it stop climate change, if there are no regulations against emissions?

Palestinians idk. In nationless anarchy it would not be a structured military, but let’s not pretend there wouldn’t be massive amounts of bloodshed.

• db0OP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      1 month ago

None of that is “democratically elected”. Those elections are a farce and I would go as far as to argue that no democracy which decides to kill 30.000 children and perform genocide is legitimate.

And nobody is talking about “mob rule”. We’re talking about anarchism.

• @MareOfNights
        link
        English
        01 month ago

Idk, what to tell you m8, but your idea of what’s happening in the middle east seems way off.

Among Jewish interviewees, 88% give a positive assessment of the performance of IDF forces in the war until now.

source

The majority of Israelis want the war.

• db0OP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          1 month ago

Which is why this “democracy” is a farce. Thanks for proving my point.

• @LadyAutumn@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      1 month ago

Half elected officials with power are appointed not elected. The Supreme Court took away women’s bodily autonomy. There was no popular vote for any of them not a single one. Also just because I vote someone in doesn’t mean I agree with everything they do. Wouldn’t it be more expedient to just use direct democracy so I can actually have a say?

“Your options are conservative A or B, and whatever actions they take are necessarily ones you voted for and agree with!”

• @MareOfNights
        link
        English
        -21 month ago

OK, that’s some US issues.

But if enough people want something, it’ll happen. It’s just that 50% of the US hates the other 50% and vice versa.

Abortion has long been a contentious issue and will probably be a big part of the election. Republicans are currently shooting themselves in the foot with that.

• @LadyAutumn@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          1 month ago

If enough people want something it’ll happen… how? Like no seriously how? Is there some reason that the people shouldn’t be allowed to directly vote on things? Are you saying that elected officials are reliable in implementing the needs of their constituents? Why is politics so contentious then?

• @MareOfNights
            link
            English
            11 month ago

I don’t think there is a moral reason against direct democracy. You just need enough people to get on board with the idea. But in america the Republicans would loose a lot of power, so they won’t vote for it.

Elected officials are relatively reliable. Maybe not for needs, but for wants. Biden for example made increasing demands of Israel, as popular opinion (of his voterbase) shifted. Sadly nobody cares about smaller issues, so there isn’t really pressure to change e.g. right to repair. Maybe on local level smaller stuff can change.

Politics is so contentious, because the algorithms feed us different realities. If I was reading conservative news 24/7 I might also start thinking that climate change doesn’t exist, the gays are coming for my children etc.

There is similar stuff on the left, just not as widespread. Democratic voters are on average moderate CNN-watching boomers.

No idea how to fix this. Similar issues are starting here in Germany, but a bit less. I think the “Tagesschau” and similar news are probably a big reason Germany is relatively moderate compared to others.

• @anarchrist@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      41 month ago

Yes, because the democratic nations have democratically decided, that we want to consume more than is wise, that we want to retaliate for Oct 7 and that private property is cool, even if a few have more.

Which party is against this? I live in a blue state in America and will gladly vote for them.