• silmaril
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Would it be possible to display the Python version and/or it’s executable path in the CAS configuration dialog?

That’s where I would look for this information and it wouldn’t leave any potential for documentation not being up to date.

The FAQ currently states:

On Linux distributions it usually means LabPlot only works with the system version of Python.

What is the “system version”?

On my system python3 --version returns Python 3.10.12, but print(sys.version) in LabPlot returns 3.11.9 (main, Nov 10 2011, 15:00:00) [GCC 13.2.0]

The information about Python versions on Windows seems to be correct, but I would recommend to mention the LabPlot version we are talking about in the FAQ, since this will probably change in future versions.

• LabPlot@floss.socialOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

@silmaril “system version” is the version that was used by your system/distribution to link cantor against. We’ll re-phrase this part to make it more clear until we have a better and more flexible solution in place.

Yes, showing the version should be possible in the settings dialog. We added this point to our TODO-list.

• silmaril
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Great to hear!

I’d phrase this differently: The “system version” is the version that was used by the build system.

Most users don’t build the application themselves, so this is some system they have zero knowledge about, which means this information is not helpful at all.

I understood “your system” as “the system I am using to run this software”.

I know this might be hard for developers sometimes, but please try to phrase all documentation (except chapters about actual development, builds etc.) from the user’s point of view. Build systems are no part of a typical user’s environment ;-)