Apparently, it’s rare for lawyers to draw objections during their opening statements, but it happened twice for Trump’s team today and the judge sustained both objections.

MSNBC Commentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-XetPGnx0M

• OpticalMooseOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I imagine he could escape jail time, for this case at least. I think the judge will probably suspend his sentence or give probation, but hopefully he still gets the felony conviction. That’s what swing voters are going to care about.

I cared for my parents with dementia, so I know the signs. Trump is staying mentally engaged(thanks to the legal system) which slows its progress, but he definitely has some form of dementia. I don’t think he’ll be in any shape to run in '28.

• Spiralvortexisalie@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Yeah where is this insane math people are getting coming from? He is a first time offender facing a paperwork E Felony, incarceration will never happen for this defendant baring something egregious. Of the sentencing options available there are about four with no jail time compared to one option for City jail time (County/Riker’s Island/“Definite”) and one for State prison time (Indeterminate). This is the rare case of the coverup was worse than the crime, his failure to “cover-up” adequately maybe be his savior. In no event do I forecast an actual jail sentence baring some bombshell revelations.