• mindlesscrollyparrot
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Yes, “home” and “zuhause” mean the same thing but they aren’t exactly the same, zuhause is a compound word. English also has compound words, for example “aboard” and “abed”. The English word isn’t “ahouse”; it is simply “home”.

• Treeniks@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

True. I was more going on the idea of OP that it must confuse english learners. I often feel people who only know one language tend to forget that most latin languages tend to have similar quirks, often making such quirks in a foreign language rather natural.

• wewbull@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

In this case, it’s nothing to do with Latin. German is not a Latin language, and old (pre-Norman) English is closer to German than anything else. It’s the shared Germanic heritage which gives us this quirk.

• mindlesscrollyparrot
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Absolutely. The fundamental thing about the rules of grammar is that they’re more like guidelines. In fact, I think OP’s example is hardly the most confusing or inconsistent thing in English, which is not to say that the question isn’t a really good one. The quirks, similarities and differences are one thing that makes language-learning really interesting.