I don’t know if others are experiencing a similar situation. My all feed is very sparse with engagement. If I sort top six hours or by top 12 most posts have between 5-10 comments. I feel like there was more in the past? Is engagement dropping off? I’m on lemmy.world as my instance.

• @rufus
    link
    edit-2
    25 days ago

I think it’s a combination of several factors. First of all there is the network effect. A social media platform gets interesting once there are enough people and we’re just about 50.000 active users. Which isn’t much compared to other forums, discord servers and fanbases of single individuals (streamers, …)

Next there needs to be some motivation to join or some attention. We had that for a moment when the Reddit API thing happened. But I don’t see that as of now. We need interesting content. And a nice and welcoming community. Or something that motivates people to come here.

And there is the technical issues. We’ve had lots of them. Federation broke for some time. There are still some bugs and user interface issues. Moderation tools still are an issue. Onboarding (choosing an instance, finding a good app) is a bit complicated. And I don’t see big leaps in software development, things that are visible/obvious to the user.