To preface, I have had a thread about this previously,

https://kbin.social/m/firefox@lemmy.ml/t/840667/How-can-you-troubleshoot-a-crash-from-freezing

Ultimately, it didn’t result in much.

Cue a few months, a lot has happened, and I have a new PC. Different graphics card vendor, different RAM, different motherboard vendor. Almost everything is different.

The crashes stopped, in fact I didn’t notice them for a long time.

Past few days however, I noticed youtube videos starting to skip a bit. Thought it might just be youtube.

Then today happened. After about a month, I had a crash again. The PC has been left on for about a week (which is not really uncommon for me).

What I noticed that caught my eye…is that when i went to close it in task manager, it was using 14 GB. Just to be fair, I made sure before completing this post that I kicked every tab I had open out of inactive.

They are currently sitting at 5 GB.

What is occurring that is causing Firefox, under the same amount of active tabs (in fact possibly more, since I do have auto tab discard, so most of these tabs would not usually be active) to reach 3x the amount of ram they actually use?

I would like to get it to stop crashing, but it seems like even under a different hardware configuration, all I’ve done is make it take longer for it to actually happen, which makes me think even more that the it’s an issue with memory.

• @cmnybo
    link
    English
    1025 days ago

I’ve never seen Firefox use that much memory, even with lots of tabs open for weeks. Maybe you have an extension that’s causing issues.