• southsamurai
        link
        fedilink
        English
        3023 days ago

Yeah, they won’t let anyone else profit off of their user’s information. They’ll do it, but nobody else can.

• @bamboo@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          English
          1923 days ago

Say what you will about Apple, they are masters of spinning their shortcomings as groundbreaking achievements. When they refused to unlock the iPhone of the san bernardino terrorist attack, it was framed as an act of preserving user privacy, but brushed over how willing they were to hand over the iCloud backups if the police would have brought the iPhone to a known WiFi network for the backup to be uploaded.

• @disguy_ovahea@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          23 days ago

They don’t profit off of user information. It’s against their privacy policy. Ask for your GDPR compliant file from Apple. It’ll contain your name, billing address, and phone number (if you have an iPhone). Apple and third-party developers can display a prompt to request data collection for app improvement. It is completely voluntary.

• southsamurai
            link
            fedilink
            English
            2223 days ago

Privacy policies are toilet paper without independent audits and the axillary ability to access source code.

link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          23 days ago

I don’t need to. It’s visible in their software. It runs on a UNIX kernel, so the application and operating system layers are independent. They restrict all APIs, both first and third-party, until a request for access has been approved by the user. The encryption they use for iCloud, iMessage, and FaceTime transmission is end-to-end, and local device encryption is hardware encoded, requiring local passcode entry to decrypt.

• @baseless_discourse@mander.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        22 days ago

What industry? Does this industry you mentioned happens only contains data hungry ad oligopolies like google, facebook and bytedance; but happens to exclude all the reasonable alternatives like Mozilla, duckduckgo, grapheneos, calyxos, desktop linux, mastodon, and lemmy?

link
            fedilink
            English
            edit-2
            22 days ago

I got a feeling that many consumers do use desktop linux, given the recently revealed 4% desktop market share across the world. macOS has 15% market share (around 3 times desktop linux), and Windows at the dominant 72% (around 3 times macOS). See https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/desktop/worldwide

I believe macOS probably is more private than Windows, but it is definitely not as private as the rest of the industry.

link
              fedilink
              English
              edit-2
              22 days ago

Sure, open source will always have the potential for the most privacy, assuming the user is savvy enough to maintain updated security. The article was primarily focused on Apple’s hold of the smartphone market. In the US, the only real competition is Android. Google is transparent about their consumer data use, and they also don’t offer much in the form of personal information privacy outside of encrypted RCS. For example, third-party apps can access user data and enable hardware APIs without first requiring user permission.

link
                fedilink
                English
                221 days ago

Okay, I mentioned desktop because you mentioned “personal computer industry” which I assumed means desktop/laptops.

I think there are indeed more private (some can even be more secure) alternative to iOS, like calyx and/or graphene.

But like you said, they do require a reasonable amount of computing literacy to install: first they need to know these projects exists, then they will need to connect their phone to their computer and click a single button.

Thus, I think there is indeed no private and “popular” alternative to iOS, that a completely tech illiterate person can easily obtain.