I wanted to install jackett and sonarr, they are complicated to use as is, moreover I am using Ubuntu. I am following fuidleine for installing jackett with STUPID command line making it EXTRA difficult. But now I have to change directory ownerships and what nots. I am the ONLY user on this machine. I want to own everything by default I am root I am admin I am user I am all. How do I make this happen instead of sending stupid commands all the time and making using Linux EASY. Before anyone getting on about Security I don’t give 2centa about it .I just want to use and install and do whatever I wish.

How do I make this happen Forever, once inför all.

• @smileyhead
    link
    edit-2
    21 days ago

Hey hey, calm down :).

Some software is OK to install manually and natively, like Wordpress or Nextcloud, they require some things to get together but those two are just standard PHP apps after all.
    But Jackett and Sonarr are software made of much more moving parts. And actually are quite badly packaged (if packaged at all). Their creators see manual install as ment mostly for developers while end user is expected to use containers.

Like other have said, learn Docker and Docker Compose (or overall containers). You’ll be able to spin up such services with just one line (or with just simple declaration in compose.yaml file). But don’t copy-paste, learn it because it’s worth it.

If you really really get stuck, there also is Yunohost, a Debian based system with web GUI and one click install scripts for selfhosted stuff. But it won’t be as nearly flexible and portable (moving between servers, having multiple disks, configurable backups…) like Docker, there is a reason why shipping server-grade software looks like that so don’t be mad at Linux, because on other systems installing scalable, server-grade things would look the same :P.