cross-posted from: https://lemmy.ml/post/15059157

cross-posted from: https://lemmy.ml/post/15059150

Hey friends,

I tried Kakoune for the first time recently—I definitely feel like it gets keybindings right. So I just wrapped up configuring Helix to (as far as I can tell) use those bindings (basically, it totally cuts out select mode and makes things much faster). Thought I’d share for anyone else interested.

[keys.normal]
H = "extend_char_left"
J = "extend_line_down"
K = "extend_line_up"
L = "extend_char_right"

W = "extend_next_word_start"
E = "extend_next_word_end"
B = "extend_prev_word_start"

A-j = "join_selections"

A-n = "search_prev"
N = "extend_search_next"
A-N = "extend_search_prev"

[keys.normal.g]
e = ["goto_last_line", "goto_line_end"]
G = ["select_mode", "goto_file_start", "normal_mode"]
[keys.normal.G]
H = "extend_to_line_start"
L = "extend_to_line_end"
E = ["select_mode", "goto_last_line", "goto_line_end", "normal_mode"]
[keys.normal.v]
t = "align_view_top"
b = "align_view_bottom"
v = "align_view_center"

Happy editing!

• @gramgan@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      119 days ago

The best way to understand really is to install both and try yourself, but basically I would say Kakoune is more “radical” than Helix, which feels more like Vim. Both move the selection in normal mode, but Helix has you extend it using what’s basically visual mode, whereas Kakoune cuts out visual mode altogether and has you hold Shift. As you can see in the config, reconfiguring what Shift does causes issues with normal Vim bindings (like joining selections with J), so Kakoune solves this with Alt.

After using it for a few days, it made a lot of sense to my brain—I would say, in general, Kakoune feels enormously well thought-out and carefully considered in every element of its design.

• @dino
        link
        English
        119 days ago

Mhm interesting, compared to helix it also seems to be available in the debian repositories. But what I don’t like is the similar approach as of vim/nvim where you have to configure everything yourself, instead of delivering a wholesome experience with sane defaults like helix editor does. Thanks anyway.