The Adwaita Icon Theme no longer follows the FDO icon naming spec breaking KDE applications on Fedora 40 Workstation and Co. See the concrete state of the issue in the linked article.

• jbk
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

As is, the current GNOME is unusable to me without extensions because they refuse to implement support for appindicators. You literally cannot use applications that minimize to tray on vanilla GNOME right now. They have been talking about adding their own protocol for years but that is of no use when things are broken right now.

So what, just use the extension. Currently no cross-desktop API for systrays that doesn’t suck in one or another way exists, so GNOME doesn’t have support for them. If you care that much about not using an extension, implement it for yourself.

• Domi@lemmy.secnd.me
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Or, use KDE. Which does it all without any extension, even if the current API sucks.

It’s not acceptable to me to require a third party extension to achieve a basic useable desktop environment.

• Christoph Cullmann@lemmy.kde.socialOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Yeah, just because the api is not perfect, to just not support it, is no solution. With that argument you can just skip most interop api, as they all have pain points.

• boredsquirrel@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

There literally was an implementation that was dropped, and I think it is clear that a PR for a better one would be dropped too.

Instead, GNOME users can stare at an empty panel, while KDE Plasma saves screen space and still has a panel with apps and all needed infos.

• jbk
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

What PR? And what about the missing API that satisfies every/most desktops’ needs?

And any GNOME user who needs that can use the extension. I don’t really get the point, apart from philosophy, which doesn’t really make sense here since nothing perfect exists yet, which GNOME seemingly doesn’t like implementing. Maybe some work towards that would be good, but I’m just someone using software for free, without paying anything.

• Plopp@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Hey, I have it on good authority that apparently users get confused and freeze up like myotonic goats if there’s more than three icons in the panel.