• Hazzia
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

I remember reading that there was a large percentage of Americans that considered the pandemic a “sign from god”. Now I’m no statistician, but I feel like there’s a large overlap between the people who thought that and the people who absolutely would not think it’s a sign negatively related to Trump, and would somehow justify the second one as a warning about those damn deep state liberals.

Would be pretty hilarious though, if not for the innocent people who would suffer.

• CharlesDarwin@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

There is a certain segment of society that thinks every natural event is a “sign from (their) god”.

I do wonder how many of the same people that kept mindlessly repeating phrases like “gain of function! gain of function!” like good little parrots were ALSO saying the pandemic was a “sign from god”, though… 😂

• KevonLooney@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Wonder about the natural world is nice, but I’ve definitely seen people take it too far. One comment on here talked about how they saw miracles every day. Like they were hungry and found $20 in their jacket pocket. Or they were cold and the sun came out.

That’s not a miracle. It’s just coincidence. You can’t say that everything is meaningful or nothing is.

• Hazzia
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

I probably wouldn’t judge them for that outright… it’s a cruel world and if feeling happy about minor convenient coincidences helps them get through it, then good for them.

Though if they’re really overbearing about it in that toxic positivity sort of way, I’m sure they’d be super insufferable to be around.

• Fedizen@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

well the problem is they always see it as a sign they’re right. Even when its like a tree falling on them. Never is the “sign from god” a message to the viewer a sign to stop being an asshole

• whereisk@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

If it was the other way around Trump would most definitely use it to rally his troops. “see what God visited on the Earth when the democrats were in power?” Or something like that