A police officer who was involved in clearing protesters from a Columbia University administration building earlier this week fired his gun inside the hall, a spokesperson for District Attorney Alvin Bragg’s office confirmed Thursday.

No one was injured, according to spokesperson Doug Cohen, who said there were other officers but no students in the immediate vicinity. He said Bragg’s office is conducting a review.

He did not provide additional details on the incident, which was first reported by news outlet The City.

The New York Police Department did not immediately respond to The Associated Press’ request for comment.

• mindlesscrollyparrot
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Thank you. I hadn’t checked what they’re issued with.

So then I’m wondering why he didn’t demount the flashlight. I guess he was worried that he might accidentally fire the gun into his foot while doing so. He’s obviously a little bit prone to that kind of thing. Safer to leave it on the rail, I guess.

• Dinsmore@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Although it’s not that hard to unmount a weapon mounted light (WML), you typically do not - it’s just how your gun is configured. Sort of like if you put new laces on shoes, you can technically take them off, but why would you? WMLs are used to help identify targets in dark areas - especially when the possibility of actually shooting is very high - i.e. if you know someone with a gun is hiding in a basement, you’d want your WML on to positively identify them so you’re not shooting at innocent people. HOWEVER, based on everything we’ve heard about these protests, there’s really no reason that the officer should have had his duty weapon out AT ALL. They have regular flashlights for use in regular scenarios (like here) where you need to see in the dark but are not going to be shooting anyone.

• mindlesscrollyparrot
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

You asked “you can … but why would you?”. You answered yourself.

Because he wasn’t in a situation where he was going to need to shoot anyone but he decided to proceed as if he was. And accidents happen, as he demonstrated.

You can say this is SOP, but that’s worse, isn’t it?

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Why would you = removing a WML. This guy is clearly a super huge idiot if that’s what he was trying to do. I would think that this is super far from SOP, which should be to use his flashlight since he’s surrounded by 999 other cops, this guy did not need his gun out at all.

• mindlesscrollyparrot
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

Yes, but he did have his gun out and the spokesperson effectively said “don’t worry, he didn’t mean to fire it - he was only planning to point it at people”.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

Yeah, sorry, at this point, I don’t know what you’re trying to say. I think we’re both in agreement that this cop is an idiot and should not have his gun out, right?

I’ve only been trying to tell you that your question of “why he didn’t demount the flashlight” is not really how it works.