Why is it so expensive and is there an alternative out there that won’t break so easily especially in the winter? My state is spending like a billion dollars a year on roads that they’ll probably have to fix in 5 years, it really seems like a huge waste of money.

Good Public transportation would fix a lot of these costs I know but what other road materials/solutions are out there?

Thank you for the answers and for putting up with my follow up questions. I’m learning a lot!

• J12@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I hear people complain about prices of concrete but like you said it could be the wages. I just looked up concrete and it’s $5 for 80lbs. That doesn’t seem terribly expensive for 80lbs. How many bags do you think it would take to do an average driveway?

• Ms. ArmoredThirteen@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

A pretty small driveway would be like 10 feet wide (enough for a Prius plus two feet of space on each side), 15 feet long (small yard with just enough room to park said Prius without sticking out), 4 inches deep. Quikrete has a “how many bags do you need for a 4in slab” calculator. Looks like for 80 pound bags you’re looking at 84 bags. If you can find them for $5 that puts the cost at $420, perfect for joking about over a joint after building the thing.

• ryathal@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Just for fun, to make that driveway highway quality it would take about 3 times as much, so 252 bags and $1260.