I’ve got one coming up soon and am nervous as hell, as usual.

• 2Xtreme21@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I literally just got out of an interview (I was the interviewer). I was nervous as well before it because I also need to convince the applicant to join my team. If I sell my team’s work as boring and my company’s vision as uninspiring, there’s a chance I could lose this candidate.

With that said, the two other interviewers and I were very impressed with the candidate. We wanted her to succeed and when we felt as though she didn’t answer the questions we asked fully, we followed up and gave her the space to impress.

Interviews are not one-sided. We want to make sure they’re a good fit for us just as much as we are a good fit for them. If you made it to the interview stage, the interviewers are already impressed enough with your profile and they just want confirmation that they’re making a good choice with you.

Good luck on your interview!

• FoodDude@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Being the interviewer helped me a lot as well. I was also nervous. I mean I picked this person to come and don’t want to waste anyone’s time.

It also helps me to think about the fact that I was asked to come to an interview and I have something to offer to the company.

• Remillard@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah this matches my usual interview advice. If you’re feeling nervous about the interview, try to turn it around in your head. Pretend you are interviewing THEM. Assume they’re going to want you, what do you want to know about them that’s going to make you say yes to them.

I know it doesn’t always work that way, personal pressures and needs can make it hard to flip that script, but I really think if you approach an interview believing it to be an equal stakes conversation rather than one side having all the power, it goes a lot better.