Hey y’all. Curious if anyone here has some tips on meeting trans / queer friends. I’ve recently moved back to Seattle where I grew up. Ive found though that I am exclusively surrounded by a ton of people who only ever knew me as a guy. From family to highschool friends.

They’re all accepting and I still have a lot of love for them, but I would really like to meet some people I can connect with on other kinds of things. I’m surrounded too much by cis heteronormativity haha

• Gaywallet (they/it)@beehaw.orgM
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

Connect with local queer groups. If there’s pride events, they’ll be tabling at them. Say hi, get info, go to their events. Check Facebook for queer groups in the area, check Meetup for queer meets. Find the local gay bar, or queer night. Find a local bookshop that looks queer run or extra friendly and ask them about events or local groups. There’s always a queer party scene and you can usually find them putting on shows at local queer spots or on Instagram. Ask on Reddit on city and state subs about where to meet queer friends or what queer groups are around. Get on dating apps and start dating (or use bumble friend) - many of these connections aren’t going to go anywhere romantically but have an easier time going platonic.

• frogman [he/him]@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Months ago you mentioned a Bumble-like app designed specifically for queer people, do you remember it? 👀 A person could post about events like a queer cinema night out.

• Gaywallet (they/it)@beehaw.orgM
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

Lex!

It’s not really like bumble, it’s a weird cross between dating apps and like, craigslist. There’s a lot of shitposting, but it would be a great place to check too.