• FontMasterFlex@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

i like how it’s some fucking revolation. Like, just look around. poke around on the internet for 10 min. Large, HUGE amounts of people have not been ok for a long time. What’s sad is everyone has their fucking heads too buried in their phones and ipads to notice.

• CashewNut 🏴󠁢󠁥󠁧󠁿@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

The only reason I’ve not killed myself is cos I’ve been failing for 20yrs to do it. Don’t expecyt me to enjoy this fucked up existence just because I have no fucking choice but to live in it.

Life is just a different type of prison.

• laughterlaughter@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Step away from the news cycle, friend. Stick to topics that bring you joy, be it space, guitars, whatever. Three weeks of that, and your outlook will be better. Also, cut your social media consumption down to one, maybe two days per week.

I’m not saying that’s all you need to do. I know mental health is a very complicated subject! I myself suffer from anxiety. But I did the above, and it’s made a difference.

You matter, friend!

• Krauerking@lemy.lol
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

I don’t think this advice actually works well for everyone. Receding more into isolation is just as exhausting and depressing to some as being aware but part of the mess.

I honestly think people just want to feel productive and see strives for making things better. Stuff that is hard to do personally and unfortunately not very present in society at large.

Ignorance is bliss only if you start and stay ignorant. You can’t put the horrors of the world back in the box once the lid is opened.

I know you mean well but I personally see how this can feel very surface level and not be super helpful even though I don’t personally know what advice is. It’s kinda hard for a singular person to truly understand another. We try and that’s good though, it’s what really makes us human. Hope we get more of that.

• laughterlaughter@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            5 months ago

Thanks for your insight, and I of course agree with you.

I guess my advice is incomplete. More isolation sucks for many for sure, yes. Something that I have also done is change communities for a while. Or at least turn off those individuals that aren’t nothing but doom and gloom and “debbie downers.” Plus trying to remember that social media life is not real life can help a little. If you see a friend on a yatch, what you don’t see if the times that friend has a pretty much boring life, or even hitting rock bottom.

Here’s an extreme, but I know people who have amazing instagram photos, and they’re dealing with drugs, alcohol and an abusive partner, for instance - yeah, I’d rather have my “boring life.” But I digress.

Mental health is a complicated matter, and I hope OP is reading this thread. Ultimately, what matters is that OP reaches out to someone, preferably a professional, and share their struggles.

• Krauerking@lemy.lol
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Yeah. I fucked up an attempt so bad that actually it made me make an agreement to never try again.

I get it. It sucks cause you know that there is an option for it to be over but when you take it… Well everything is over and it’s as awful as you left it. I hold out on the sliver of hope that it’s gonna get better, cause nothing stays the same for long. It will change and then you can revaluate again.

Death can be pretty final. And the last thing you experiencing being pain and sadness is not a good way to go. Don’t expect to enjoy every moment of life though. That’s a dream that doesn’t exist. But try to enjoy what you can and live knowing the other side is for later.

• FontMasterFlex@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

I haven’t because I know how it would make my parents feel. But I’ve slowly been more and more isolated since my sister had kids and our parents seem to prioritize them over me these days. So I know feel more and more that I’m the burden keeping them on this side of the country rather than moving to be closer to my sister and her family. Might as well make the choice easier for them.

• Katana314@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I think that “heads buried” comment may just be the newest “kids these days”. It was always complaints going back to television, then radio, even as far back as carrying newspapers on the morning trolley.

I know it often seems like people just aren’t engaged - but it’s usually how they engage, for better or worse.

• jaemo@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

Right? Buddha laid down the science of the four Noble truths a long ass time before the internet.

Suffering is an ancient companion of our species.