Off the Siberian coast, not far from Alaska, a Russian ship has been docked at port for four years. The Akademik Lomonosov, the world’s first floating nuclear power plant, sends energy to around 200,000 people on land using next-wave nuclear technology: small modular reactors.

This technology is also being used below sea level. Dozens of US submarines lurking in the depths of the world’s oceans are propelled by SMRs, as the compact reactors are known.

SMRs — which are smaller and less costly to build than traditional, large-scale reactors — are fast becoming the next great hope for a nuclear renaissance as the world scrambles to cut fossil fuels. And the US, Russia and China are battling for dominance to build and sell them.

• tunetardis@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Oh man, that is just depressing. I mean I wouldn’t put it past them. It’s like this whole business with carbon capture.

A couple of years ago, I was driving around the Permian Basin near Midland, Texas. I asked a local about all these gas flares you’d see. He said it’s waste natural gas. They’re drilling for oil, you see, so they just burn it off. When I looked incredulous, he added that it’s better than simply venting it. Methane is a potent greenhouse gas! Well sure, but…

Let’s just say it would take a lot to convince me at this point that the future is carbon capture.

• Diplomjodler@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

That’s absolutely what’s going on here. the whole “nuclear renaissance” is nothing but a smoke screen.

• Krauerking@lemy.lol
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Yeah unless it’s we all suddenly rush to build them and all the renewable options for padding the grid then, yeah. It’s just a ruse to make it look like we are doing anything at all to make people feel better about flying private jets for a day trip to their favorite fishing pond. (Something I know a millionaire does personally)

• vividspecter@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

It’s like this whole business with carbon capture.

Yep, it’s very similar to the CCS push from the 2000s. And you saw the Democratic party pushing it too, despite it fast becoming obvious that it’s not viable.