• Veraticus@lib.lgbt
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

The BBC is quasi-state funded; its relationship with the government is not entirely cut-and-dry, since it is funded through a government act (though not directly by the UK itself).

What matters is whether the state has controls that prevent it from interfering with its media sources, and whether the those sources have missions respecting journalistic integrity. For the VOA and BBC this is entirely true, both have charters specifically mandating them to do that and their respective governments have very clear “hands-off” laws and policies (or did until Trump, the story does get a little complicated for the VOA recently).

RT on the other hand just publishes Putin’s marketing emails.

• Veraticus@lib.lgbt
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Is your goal to be wrong in as many places in this thread as possible? Cuz you are killing it if so.

• Veraticus@lib.lgbt
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            11 months ago

I added productive statements already; I’m still literally the only one in this thread that’s cited anything. Are you afraid of researching your stances and backing them up? Because there is a troll here, and it is not me.

• Hexadecimalkink@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              11 months ago

I’ve written papers where I just cited the articles that supported my arguments and didn’t do a full analysis of the literature. It’s a common practice in academia. Logic is better at convincing people.

• Veraticus@lib.lgbt
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                11 months ago

Well, your logic has been spectacularly unconvincing. And my continual exhortations for you to offer a single shred of evidence in support of your position have gone ignored, so… honestly my conclusion is you indeed have no evidence and no logic. Why are you even still replying if you have nothing to offer other than conspiracy theories and bad takes?

• Hexadecimalkink@lemmy.ml
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  11 months ago

I’m just entertained you’re spending more time arguing than me than searching out a counter to your own argument. I do my research on both sides of an issue before sharing my opinion. You’re just hiding behind a few links and foaming at the mouth that I haven’t shared any links. Maybe if I’m bored this weekend I’ll go through my KMS and find some citations for you since this isn’t the common sense I thought it was.

• VinceUnderReview@lemmy.blahaj.zone
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    11 months ago

They aren’t hiding though, you just keep saying how you write papers and make all these claims then barely back them up. I’m considerably more convinced of their argument than yours.

• zephyreks@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Ok, fine. Let’s operate under this assumption. Find me an article from the VoA that is critical of the current President.

I can find articles from the BBC that are extremely critical of Rishi Sunak (and Boris Johnson when he was still in office). I can find articles from the CBC that are extremely critical of Justin Trudeau (and old Stephen Harper). Any truly unbiased non-propaganda media outlet could surely find something to criticize about the ruling President, right?

• zephyreks@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Again, this isn’t about reporting facts that, by your opinion, look bad for Biden, but about political analysis (that VoA does do) that is negative for Biden.

For example, articles like “Justin Trudeau drops into another pitfall of his own making” or “Why won’t Rishi Sunak give Partygate verdict on Boris Johnson?”, which has classic quotes like “‘Cowardly cop-out’” and “A scandal in plain sight”

An independent journalist agency has no problems making such claims. VoA does.

(Also, that article is by AP lol)

• Veraticus@lib.lgbt
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            11 months ago

I think this is goalpost shifting frankly. I can find more articles on VoA that are critical of Biden. The fact that they don’t include sensationalized titles doesn’t mean they’re less critical.

• zephyreks@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              11 months ago

Sure, go ahead. The article you sent is written by Associated Press, which is in fact an independent (American) not-for-profit and not funded by the US government. I would be a little more worried if they were, in fact, a government front.