• thehatfox@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

That’s often the case in the UK. The government here issued some flimsy guidelines about uniform policy but many schools are still gouging parents on restrictive and expensive uniforms.

Do all schools in Australia require uniforms or is it just some?

• Oneser@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

School systems are state controlled, so it may vary across the country but all schools I know require a purchases uniform. This is additional to any school fees or other material costs, and must be bought at the school’s uniform shop.

• dan@upvote.au
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

If I remember correctly, my high school let Year 12 students sometimes wear casual clothes, but everyone else had to wear uniform. This was at a public school, not a fancy private school.

I’m in my 30s so that was a while ago. I’m not sure if it’s still the same these days.

• AJ Sadauskas@aus.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

@dan @thehatfox I moved schools during high school.

At the first, they had a special senior student uniform for year 11 and 12.

The second allowed casual clothes for year 11 and 12, but it had restrictions on what you couldn’t wear (so no spaghetti straps — shoulders had to be covered, no bare midriffs, no jewellery aside from earring studs, etc.).

• Sir Gareth@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

Definitely not all. I know I had some schools (mainly private) that required uniforms,byut all the public ones didn’t.

• tau@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I would say most do but some don’t, and with those that do the level of uniform required varies.

My primary school didn’t require uniforms for regular days, though they did have what was called the sports uniform shirt which they preferred kids to wear if away from the school (generally used for sports carnivals with other local schools).

My high school did require uniforms but only really cared about enforcing the uniform shirt and some variety of closed shoe.

The school my youngest sister did years 11-12 at didn’t require uniforms at all, though they probably did care about closed shoes due to safety in science classes etc.

• psud@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

During the '80s private schools (expensive schools) had uniforms and public schools (free schools) had none

Now private schools have their same uniforms with blazers and ties and public schools have colour codes