For me, I’m not sure.

I love synthwave like GUNSHIP and PYLOT and Essenger as much as the next cyberpunk, but besides a few particular GUNSHIP and Essenger songs, they don’t feel quite right.

Neither does straight up punk rock or metal, which is the other stuff I listen to.

The cyberpunk music I want needs to be a blend of the two I think — the atmospheric sounds and use of synths and technological effects from synthwave, and the overt rage and message and aggressive, imperfect rock sound of punk rock and metal.

Edit: I’m liking industrial so far!

• archon@dataterm.digital
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Hey - I’ve been wanting to learn about music production myself. Got as far as installing LMMS and looking for VST plugins. Would love some beginner tips if you have any to share!

• Ramses Revengeday@dataterm.digitalM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Now you have asked a good question that is not so easy to answer, unfortunately I do not have the ultimate beginner tip.

But what I can recommend to you is to play around with loops a bit - with that you can get a good basic idea of a song.

In the beginning I would advise you to do without plugins and learn the DAW. I use Ableton and have almost no plugins installed, because I create almost all instruments directly in Ableton - also saves money ;)

But I invite you to our Discord instance where many creative people are (see DATATERM Sidebar), we all try to help each other and give beginners gladly tips!