Background, I have a soy allergy and I’m looking to eat less meat or possibly go vegetarian. I came across this article that includes tempeh, an item made with soybeans even by its own description.

• Catoblepas@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

I feel like the chucklefucks farming accidental clicks aren’t ready for what’s going to happen if someone takes them at their word—even if it’s stupid as shit—and make themselves or someone else sick and/or dead by fucking around with allergens or other food safety issues. This should really be considered on par with telling people it’s a great idea to mix bleach and ammonia. “Oops, a machine did it and therefor I should be insulated from any consequences (but I should get the profit from it)” is something that will make/is making the internet completely unusable.

Edit: also for meat substitutes, seitan might be what you’re looking for. Just be aware that it’s very common for commercial seitan to include soy sauce. If you can’t find one without soy it’s not hard to make it yourself from vital wheat gluten.