Why is there such a disparity between techniques used in formal language classes versus those recommended in online communities?

For example, I’ve recently started tutoring ESL at my library (I have no credentials, this is just volunteer work), and the program runners have stressed repeatedly how important it is for learners to speak, and to start speaking early. I can see why this is practical: at least in the United States, it’s very difficult to communicate with anyone if you don’t speak English. So even a few memorized “tourist” phrases can help a lot.

But in the long-term, this seems to run contrary to what I’ve seen different online communities talk about- be it Refold, Steve Kaufman, Steve Krashner, Dreaming Spanish, etc. Most online communities seem to stress immersion and natural methods, prioritizing input/comprehension over output/speaking. Some of these folks even say that you shouldn’t talk at all in L2 until you reach a certain point (though others say that it doesn’t matter).

Is this a genuine difference in language-learning philosophy, or are the needs of “practical” learners just different than “hobbyist” learners?

• Syrup@lemmy.cafeOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Thank you, this is a lot of good information! What counts as “efficient learning” seems a lot more fluid than I thought. I guess everyone is going to assume that their favorite method is the best, perhaps that’s why it seemed so polarized to me.

• LevelUp@dataterm.digitalM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

No worries there! While the focus here is refold and immersion based methods, I don’t think think I’d want to open a community with intolerance towards other learning methods if that’s what works for them. I would rather help someone figure out a way of including it if that’s what they want to do but if they think it’s not for them then that’s okay too. I think with every method, routine, technique or topic there’s some really diehard fans that you see and hear from the most.

Overtime things have become more moderate, you get out as much as you put into it for sure but you can still have a social life with this method and combine it with whatever suits you and your interests best.

I know you mentioned Dreaming Spanish and I think it’s is a great resource for listening practice but it sticks to the methodology of not reading until you have X amount of listening hours and not studying grammar at all, whereas Refold wants you to include reading time (with an audio source at first) into your study and they want you to put a little bit of time into grammar if you can manage it in order to speed up the process of understanding. It’s kind of interesting to see where these guys agree and disagree. :D