link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

Manjaro? So it will break after a few updates?

Edit: I want more competition. Don’t get me wrong. The more handhelds, the more linux, the more innovation!!

• Soleil@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Manjaro isn’t that fragile on its own. No, seriously, their goal is to make a stable version of Arch. No wait stop laughing —

The majority of issues with Manjaro itself (notwithstanding the team’s other issues) would be fixed by retiring the AUR as an official software source altogether. It simply isn’t a repository built with Manjaro’s slower burn in mind; it demands a bleeding edge system. If you don’t use the AUR, Manjaro is as stable as any other system. It just sucks for many other reasons, which is why I personally wouldn’t use it.

• bmsuseluda
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

i use manjaro for about 3 years as my daily driver and do not have problems at all.

• P03@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Is it really that bad? Had manjaro as daily driver for about 4 years and the only time I broke was when I tried dangerous stuff xD. The main argument I keep hearing, is the they had invalid certs on their site. Is there anything else? Back ten it seemed like a great ateway into arch. Not using arch BTW. :-P

• Luci@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

Even a non-aur build has broken for me. You cannot just take a snapshot of a bleeding edge distro and call it stable and then blame the end users when a normal operation like building from source breaks things (because that’s all the AUR really is. As long as you meet the dependencies, the software in the AUR should just work, I’ve used pkgbuild files to compile stuff from source and use on RHEL without issue)

I’ve been burned by Manjaro a few times, I refuse to let it go.

• Luci@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

I used it as a daily for about 2 years. The cert issues is just negligence but I had major package breaking and found the NVIDIA configuration they used to be broken.

Looked great and ran awesome on first install it felt like if you don’t update right away you’re gonna hurt.

• helenslunch@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

So…this doesn’t run on an Orange Pi SBC?

Also Manjaro is such a bad choice that it seems intentional. Like “see we made Linux handhelds and no one bought/liked them!”

Like you could have chosen from many of the dedicated OS’s designed explicitly for this purpose?

• mxcory@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Glad to see a company finally use track pads on their device. Though I personally am not looking for a new device.

• Rooki@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Neat, but looks rather like a mix out of steamdeck, rog ally and its super weird because of it. Because it doesnt have the same level joysticks you cant easily swap between joycon and trackpads and the page looks definitly not like some jpg slammed together. 100% not scammy looking.

• Galaxy@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

It looks like it has a usb c port on the top and bottom so it might be wired where you can charge with either/or?

• bloopernova@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Maybe they figure people will use it docked? And phones have ports on the bottom, they’re not so bad to use while charging.

• escew@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

I use it handheld primarily. The difference in my phone is weight. With the port on the bottom, handheld charging becomes almost impossible without constantly putting pressure on the cable and port.

• PlasticExistence@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

Let me tell you that as someone who lays on their back while playing, I truly hate charging points on the bottom. If I’m not exactly mobile, I’m plugged into a charger because why waste battery life? Having that port on the bottom makes relaxing comfortably much harder.

• slacktoid@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I was excited when i saw the trackpads. It faded away when i saw the lack of grip buttons.

• jlow (he/him)@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

So Raspberry Pie and Orange Pie? 😸

(I’m not really a fan of that website being just a bunch of images …)

• carpelbridgesyndrome@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

The whole idea behind Manjero’s update scheme is just generally a landmine. LTS releases typically work by maintaining a older branch that gets updates. In this way you delay features not patches. If you run Firefox on such a system it will be Firefox LTS with this week’s patches (this is kinda important for security reasons). Manjaro doesn’t do this instead it just holds everything back artificially one or two weeks.

Bluntly doing this with a browser or other security critical software should be a crime.

Manjero just generally feels very amaturish and its history of taking down Arch’s servers is not helping here.