Northwestern University researchers have introduced a soil-microbe-powered fuel cell, significantly outperforming similar technologies and providing a sustainable solution for powering low-energy devices.

• cmnybo
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

How much power does it produce? It must be pretty bad since they don’t mention it anywhere in the article.

• Tar_Alcaran@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

They claim “68 times more than required to operate the sensors”, then mention a sensor to measure soil moisture.

A basic soil moisture sensor, like say, the ones I have stacked on a shelf here, will work on 2 AA batteries. It runs on 2V at 10mA. So that’s 20 milliWatts, and in willing to be a fair bit of that goes into the electronics that make a red, green or orange led light up at certain moisture levels, and the bit that beeps when below a certain level.

Still, this sets something of an upper limit at 1.3W, or maybe 680 mA? Those seem rather high, so I’m betting their moisture sensor is a bit more delicate than my model. It depends on the size and number of cells though.

• muntedcrocodile@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Im pretty sure most soil moisture measurment devices just measure the capacitance to measure dielectric permittivity. U can design such a setup to use any arbitrary amount of power depending how close the electrodes are rogether etc etc.

• Willie@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

Yeah, I am imagining the soil moisture things from the garden store, with the little needle gauge thing, that takes so little power that there’s no battery slot. I feel like the amount of power this thing makes is extremely low.

• WHYAREWEALLCAPS@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

The linked article has a table that gives 1.74 uW/cm^2. However glancing over the rest of the paper there’s a ton of variability of output.