ADHD and autism are both strongly correlated with justice sensitivity. If you need an explanation for what that is, here’s a quote from this article:

Justice sensitivity is the tendency to notice and identify wrong-doing and injustice and have intense cognitive, emotional, and behavioral reactions to that injustice. People who are justice sensitive tend to notice injustice more often than others, they tend to ruminate longer and more intensely on that injustice, and they feel a stronger need to restore justice.

Do y’all experience this? If so, how does it manifest?

For me, I can’t see injustice and do nothing. Failing to stand up for my beliefs makes me hate myself, and I’ll usually do it even if I know it’s a bad idea or I’m surrounded by people who disagree–if anything, I feel more compelled to do it then. Since some of my beliefs are wildly unpopular, this often winds up in me feeling ostracized, rejected, and depressed.

I don’t know what to do about this. I can’t just not stand up for what I believe in–it’s clearly the right thing to do. But it’s a deeply unpleasant experience I keep repeating. I’ll choose standing up for my beliefs over not being hurt if I have to, but that doesn’t make it fun.

• Dankenstein@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I have not been recently diagnosed with ADHD, I was diagnosed with ADD as a child and my parents could not find the motivation to get me to take my medication or take me to see a doctor in order to change the dosage/medication.

I’ve been living with ADHD for as long as I can remember, it came before GA/SA/APD.

I’m married now, got medication for GA but I have frequent episodes of SA with pretty much anyone other than my wife, and the APD is a constant plague on my life (before and after I gained awareness of it). I still don’t have medication for ADHD.

My childhood was spent in a very judgemental home with two family suffering from unmedicated mental illness: BPD, Anxiety, Depression, Schizophrenia, Dementia, NPD, and APD, for example.

My parents were (are? I don’t know how they are, you understand) extremely bigoted and my earliest memory is of a time when I wished nothing but to be out of that house.

My wife is from India and after we got married, we went to visit her friends and her (now our 🙂) family. The family I met and most of her friends were wonderful, I had no problem sitting and enjoying my surroundings while they spoke in Hindi or Tamil, they were wonderful people who clearly made my wife happy. No complaints from me.

The last two friends I met were Islamophobic, TERFs, Homophobic, and sexist.

I couldn’t take it, I had no idea where we were, I told them to stop the car, my wife and I got out (with her, reasonably, confused and trying to get me back in the car), and I somehow, meekly, stuttered out directions for the Auto driver to take us back home while arguing with my wife that I simply cannot be around that kind of… hate.

She does not share their views but that is the kind of community that she grew up in and she has maybe three friends from her childhood.

I know what goes on when I can’t see but when I see it, I nearly get sick.