• theragu40@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I really love this web comic. I’m very unsure how it will translate to anything beyond its current scope, which is essentially translation of individual “moments” into literal language. The shtick doesn’t have a chance to get old when it’s never a situation longer than like 6 panels. But I’m curious enough to be mildly interested.

And by all means, good for Nathan Pyle for cashing in on this. That’s awesome.

• Deconceptualist@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Yep, agreed with all that.

It’s definitely weird hearing the blue guys’ lines coming from modern over-enthusiastic voice actors. In my mind I guess I always imagined them talking like Coneheads or robotic munchkins of some sort.

I thought the point was to laugh at the world from an Asperger’s-y perspective pushed out to absurdity, because when you step back for a second our human habits and rituals really are goddamn bizarre. So hearing those observations not in some calculated alien monotone but rather fully dynamic cartoon pitches feels somehow jarring to me. Maybe I’ll get over it though.

But yeah. Congrats to Nathan for sure. Tiny trash! 🎉

• relevants@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Well, I think Dan Harmon being involved means it probably has at least a little bit of that absurdity still.

• ghostBones@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Well, it worked for 3rd Rock from the Sun. I see it as the outsider perspective which can be a plentiful source of material.

• topher@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Seconded. This comic is a real gem. I’m glad to see it’s author do well from it, but I’m uncertain I would consume a Rick and Morty-style episodic instalment of moving pictures of it.

On that note, I’m not even certain the playfully literal language style of the comic can be sustained for 20-30 minutes straight, without getting old. I hope it can - in a similar vain it worked for the movie Home (though I’ve never read the Smekday book to know if that was invented by DreamWorks for the movie, or came over from the page)

• Deconceptualist@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Yep, agreed with all that.

It’s definitely weird hearing the blue guys’ lines coming from modern over-enthusiastic voice actors. In my mind I guess I always imagined them talking like Coneheads or robotic munchkins of some sort.

I thought the point was to laugh at the world from an Asperger’s-y perspective pushed out to absurdity, because when you step back for a second our human habits and rituals really are goddamn bizarre. So hearing those observations not in some calculated alien monotone but rather fully dynamic cartoon intonations feels somehow jarring to me. Maybe I’ll get over it though.

But yeah. Congrats to Nathan for sure. Tiny trash! 🎉