• Optional@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I’ll be honest. I didn’t expect people to be this stupid. That’s on me with the whole information superhighway thing being “a good thing”. I didn’t think there would be this calcified idiocy that continued to grow in spite of the fact that plainspoken factual refutations for it were just a few keystrokes away.

I didn’t believe people would fall for such blatantly idiotic shit “in the future”. Despite being an American. I know, I know. My bad.

• GregorGizeh@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

The original assumption was that this data super highway would transfer the truth and facts.

But it turns out because anyone can distribute any falsehood, people instead are able to find things to reinforce their existing opinion, instead of the truth. The biggest strength of the modern day internet is also what will ultimately be its downfall I believe. The next kind of web will definitely be different.

• TexasDrunk@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

Very true, but it has someone like you. They ain’t got me either, friend, but there’s plenty of Texas drunks on it.

• Riven@lemmy.dbzer0.com
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                6 months ago

How were the olden days gramps? No but really, if you don’t mind answering, what was the ‘newest’ tech that you can remember coming out when you were a kid?

I’m in my early thirties and was raised in a different country, I can recall the internet being the latest thing and how my family all huddled around our first pc and internet connection to set up an email ha. I don’t recall all of it but I recall it had AppleManzana in it which manzana is just apple in Spanish.

• BonesOfTheMoon@lemmy.worldOPM
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  6 months ago

Telnet talkers! They predated the existence of a web page. It was a basic text interface that you had to telnet into a certain IP address. It was a wonder of ASCII art too. And we got there by using the freenet using a dialup modem that took out your phone line for hours.

Once webpages came along I migrated to Livejournal, which was and is forever the best social media that ever existed even in its decayed Russian state today.