Pretend your only other hardware is a repurposed HP Prodesk and your budget is bottom-barrel

• PieMePlenty@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Sell. I don’t run a data center and I’m not a cloud provider. I have a meager home server with some stuff plugged in and serve some tv shows. I want this to be as low foot print as possible. If it goes over 10w idle, I’m shutting it down lol.

• Blue_Morpho@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

If I remember correctly, every watt is around $1 a year. So a 100 watt server costs $100 a year every year to run. 12 SAS drives and the server is going to be expensive to keep running.

• seang96@spgrn.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

It can also vary by time and day. I got that setup since I use more at night, but in general power companies average that throughout the day.

• jkrtn@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

What’s your hardware? 10w sounds great to me. I just started a new build and have to play around to see if I can get better C-states while idle.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

11th gen NUC. Much faster than a RPI4, more power if needed (for things like Zigbee USB adapters, external drives…) while still maintaining low power draw on idle. It will jump to 20-30W when transcoding but I dont mind higher power draws when im actually using the thing.

Neofetch Temps

• Dumbkid@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Damn 10watts? My server has a 5800x in it(my old cpu) and I have never seen the system pull less than 130watts

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

Yeah a lot of people will say to just use your old PC thats lying around and it is a great way to start and learn but if you want something with a lower footprint (low power, quiet, cool) you’re better off buying something more suited to that task. Laptops or mini PCs are much more suited to that.

Id love to have a server rack one day but I just cant justify it drawing so much power when I can live with the drawbacks of a smaller server.