As the title states really. I need to refer to this diverse group of people, who somehow have gotten put in the same box labeled “sexual minorites”.

I’m a boring CISHET vanilla white male, so I don’t really know. I want to include as many as I can when I refer to “lgbtq+ people”. I’ve been studying various flags, trying to find the one flag I need. But I can’t really figure it out.

Is lgbtq+ the preferred term, or what should I use? Is a flag better? I don’t want to hurt someone by not including them.

• BigDanishGuy@sh.itjust.worksOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I hear you loud and clear. I’m probably adding the “+” as well, but I also realize that some people just want to be offended. If I can get people to be offended that I don’t oppress lgbtq+ people, then that’s fine. But I don want to accidentally hurt people by being ignorant.

• Lycist@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

I’m going to open this in a way that is probably not lending credit to much, but I’m a CIS straight white male.

I’m also Aromantic.

I’m a tiny part of the A at the end of LGBTQIA+, and I have no strong opinions on being left out! I love that we are included at all!

I hit the big supportive events in my community, and occasionally visit a couple of the gay bars while sporting my Aro flag ring and dying my beard in various colors.

I can’t remember where I was going with this comment.

• Mr_Blott@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

That’s ok, I was distracted by my slight misreading of your second sentence and found myself wondering why you would mention that you smell nice 🙃