• astral_avocado@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Free speech isn’t a bad thing, people shouldn’t be censored for being fucking morons especially a tweet like this. It’s a little scary how the left/progressives have done a complete 180 on free speech in the last like, 10 years.

I always though the twitter community fact check was a very good control on tweets like this though, someone says something dumb and you get a direct community-voted response attached to the bottom of it. Resulted in some hilarious owns.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

And then here’s the always obligatory “it’s a private company!” that’s pulled out, despite these spaces basically making up our public square nowadays. As a leftist, it’s incredibly disappointing to see our principles just abandoned in mass.

• Sharkwellington@lemmy.one
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

You’re putting words in my mouth, I was letting you know that “censorship” as it relates to “freedom of speech”, the first amendment right, is not possible by a private company. Twitter has no obligation to act like a government entity, because they are not a government entity, whether or not they’re a “public space”. If you’re going to throw around phrases like “freedom of speech” and “censorship”, at least understand what they mean and how they work.

Also, it’s “en masse”.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            11 months ago

I was letting you know that “censorship” as it relates to “freedom of speech”, the first amendment right, is not possible by a private company.

So that’s exactly what you’re saying, while also being incredibly patronizing? Cool.

How the 1st amendment relates to private companies has been beaten to death and then gone around the world 500 times with how often this is parroted on reddit and literally everywhere. Do you really think I don’t think this? You really don’t understand what I’m saying?

• Sharkwellington@lemmy.one
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              11 months ago

You really don’t understand what I’m saying?

I really don’t, because you’re using your own definitions instead of established meanings. Honestly can’t say I care anymore. ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯ Sorry to have upset you.

• bane_killgrind@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

The last 10 years people who engage in hate speech have started crying censorship instead of fucking off, but yeah community response is good. The problem becomes a private corp deciding and prioritizing visibility of some engagement over other engagement, basically feeding people propaganda instead of real discussions.

• regeya@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

And if it wasn’t for the fact that Twitter boosts the idiots and smacks down people for rebuttals, I’d agree. For the free speech absolutism to work, it needs to be absolute, not “free speech” being “things the idiot in chief agrees with”

• visak@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

What do you mean by “the left/progressives have done a complete 180 on free speech in the last like, 10 years.”?