Like it says, I took the Einbürgerungstest this past weekend. The questions are a mix of things that feel pretty obvious (which war lasted from 1939-1945) and things that require memorization (Which chancellor was responsible for the Ostverträge?). In a lot of ways, it feels like another language exam: if you understand German well enough to understand the questions, you can probably pass.

We officially had an hour, but I was done within 8 minutes, and I wasn’t the first :).

One step closer to citizenship!

• 2Xtreme21@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Good job. I took mine back in January— be prepared to wait a looooong time for the results (got mine finally in June).

But yes, it was very easy. I ended up getting a perfect score with very minimal studying. Only had to guess on one question (IIRC it was “who came up with the lyrics to the Deutschlandhymne?”)

• RepulsiveDog4415@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Well done, congrats! Kinda weird you gotta know stuff most Germans don’t know to become German. I mean I think Helmut Kohl was in power when the wall fell but I guess Willi Brandt layed the ground work. But who signed something specific? Honestly no Idea even if I went to a German high school.

Tell me how you behave if you sit next to a stranger on a bus when a double seat becomes free and I’ll tell you whether you’ve properly integrated lol

• cabhanOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Very good about the chancellors! One of the questions that I didn’t get was “Who was the first chancellor of the united Germany?”, which is indeed Kohl :).

And I was also joking that the real integration test is how you react when they tell you that you’ll receive the results by post. If you nod wisely and agree that’s the only correct way, you’re ready for citizenship :).

• letmesleep@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Kinda weird you gotta know stuff most Germans don’t know to become German.

Well, it’s things you should know if you paid attention in school an occasionally opened a newspaper as an adult. Obviously you might get a few things wrong (I have to brag, I just tried one and didn’t), but if you’ve lived here your entire life and can’t get more than 50% right in one of those tests without preparation you really need to work on your education.

• RepulsiveDog4415@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Well, it’s things you should know if you paid attention in school

I beg to differ. I did pay attention (as much as can be expected from a pubescent teen) but we barely even touched the reunification. Ask me anything about ancient Greece or Rome though haha

and occasionally opened a newspaper as an adult.

When that stuff was first in the papers my parents probably still went to primary lol

• letmesleep@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

When that stuff was first in the papers my parents probably still went to primary lol

Yeah, but newspapers don’t just write about what happened today, they often to contextualize with history. So while It’s not first in the papers anymore it still is something you can learn from them.

Besides, half (or so) of the test isn’t history but easy questions about our political system. That’s also stuff you should have learned in school.

• tillimarleen@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            11 months ago

haha, good one. Edit: And now I am embarassed, I didn‘t know it is the day of remembering the victims of Nazi Germany and the day of the liberation of Auschwitz.

• uint8_t@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

if your Ausländeramt is anything like mine, you dann wait for half a year before you get an appointment to even submit your application 😅

• cabhanOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Yeah, and I’m expecting the eait to be even worse once this new law comes through. I’m hoping to at least have everything ready by then, though.

• Laser@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

The questions are a mix of things that feel pretty obvious (which war lasted from 1939-1945)

The great Wurst War

Which chancellor was responsible for the Ostverträge?

Angelo Merte

• pau_hana@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Glückwunsch! For me, a study app helped a lot with the memorization. I used “Leben in Deutschland Test” from the Google Play Store.

• cabhanOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I used Anki, which I’ve used many times in the past for other things. Someone already made a flashcard deck for the Einbürgerungstest, and you could even filter out questions for the other Bundesländer. I was pretty happy with it.