TierMaker Discworld Community Tier List

Apologies for not being able to upload an image at the moment.

Obviously TierMaker isn’t the be all end all of community opinion, but I stumbled upon this tier list recently and found it strange. I have a handful of friends who have read some of the books, and they were surprised by some of the tierings too. Some trends I noticed:

• “Entry” books seem to be tiered high, and books occuring later in the Discworld timeline get tiered lower
  • Tiffany Aching books are tiered very low
  • I believe the earlier books are generally getting tiered higher than the later books, but I haven’t actually verified that.

I guess my biggest question is is the opinions of the community actually so diverse? Maybe many folks haven’t read all the books so it gets skewed like that? The site says it compiles 32 tier lists which sounds like a decent amount of data to me.

• abouttocomealive@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Just wanted to comment, cause this community is a bit quiet. But man, I really hate tier lists. Just enjoy what you enjoy.
    Like, Unseen Academicals and The Last Hero are some of my favourites.
    I haven’t read the Tiffany Aching books. Just cause I don’t read much YA stuff. Maybe one day… In many discworld groups people really seem to enjoy them. And I’ve heard they are great for younger readers too.

• OlPatchy2Eyes@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

That’s fair. I honestly thought to post just to give the community a little more action.

I read the Tiffany Aching books last year and really liked them, for what it’s worth. The only reason I could find for why they’re labeled YA is because they don’t split off into several different plots like Discworld books tend to do, so they’re much easier to read.

• captainlezbian@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

So that list seems to be designed to go as far against me as they could get away with lol

I generally think Discworld got better over time and that Tiffany Aching was some of his best writing. Sure it was less complicated and joke dense, but it was raw and powerful. It read like a man writing a role model for his daughter to be the sort of person he thought the world desperately needed more of. Someone thoughtful, intelligent, kind, and willing to do what needs done.

Also night watch is probably the fan favorite book. That or shepherds crown.

And I fucking loved the industrial revolution books and Susan Sto Helit, while mort was fine.

• OlPatchy2Eyes@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I’m currently in the final stretch of finishing all the novels. I think I’m reading my 32nd book now? Can’t wait to get to some of the Industrial Revolution stuff.

• captainlezbian@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Yeah it’s fun. Raising steam was really fun as an engineer because it was one of the few times that I felt seen by an author in that side of myself. Not as some stuffy jackass or some brilliant hero of an age of progress but as a mad scientist who uses math to create things that cause change in all sorts of unexpected ways and revels in the sheer joy of creation.

And Moist is a great foil to Vetinari and Vimes. He’s chaos harnessed