Thousands of authors demand payment from AI companies for use of copyrighted works::Thousands of published authors are requesting payment from tech companies for the use of their copyrighted works in training artificial intelligence tools, marking the latest intellectual property critique to target AI development.

• joe@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Did you read that?

Plagiarism can happen intentionally or unintentionally when a person uses another person’s ideas or words without citing the original source. Here are four common forms of plagiarism:

• Copying another person’s words without using quotation marks or referencing the original source
      • Copying an author’s words without using quotation marks but using accurate footnotes to the original source
      • Paraphrasing an author’s ideas without including a reference to the original source
      • Rearranging an author’s exact words, even if there is a footnote to the original source

Oh no, I plagiarized! lol

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Copying another person’s words without using quotation marks or referencing the original source

ChatGPT can do that.

Copying an author’s words without using quotation marks but using accurate footnotes to the original source

ChatGPT can do that.

Paraphrasing an author’s ideas without including a reference to the original source

ChatGPT can do that.

Rearranging an author’s exact words, even if there is a footnote to the original source

ChatGPT can do that.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Yes, can. It is capable of doing all those things and, again, if she is correct, will do so if prompted.

• joe@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              11 months ago

I think this is nonsense, but you’re saying the issue is that it doesn’t use quotes when someone asks it to quote a passage from her book? Is that true?

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                11 months ago

Nope, again, the issue is that it can regurgitate the entire book if prompted. Why you think that’s legal is beyond me. What if it had video. Should it be allowed to spit out all of Oppenheimer if prompted?

• joe@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  11 months ago

Can it?

Prompt:

quote me a passage from a popular Sarah Silverman book

Response:

As an AI language model, my knowledge was last updated in September 2021, and I do not have access to real-time data, including specific passages from books released after that date. Up until my last update, Sarah Silverman, the American comedian, actress, and writer, had not released a book.

However, Sarah Silverman has written a memoir titled “The Bedwetter: Stories of Courage, Redemption, and Pee,” which was published in 2010. Since I don’t have the contents of the book available to me directly, I can’t provide a specific passage from it.

If you’re interested in reading something from the book, I recommend checking it out from your local library or bookstore. Her memoir contains personal anecdotes and humorous stories, reflecting her unique comedic style and life experiences.

Edit: ChatGPT-3.5, if that matters.