• fin@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Yea Apple did do that, but Apple is NOT Google, and Apple does not have a monopoly on the internet as a whole.

They also do not have an extremely strong motive to strip any and all privacy and ad blocking from users.

So I wouldn’t say it’s the same in this context. Google is far more dangerous with their implementation.

• The Hobbyist@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

The main difference from what I understand is that with Apple’s system, if you did not have a token, you could still access the content. This is the opposite of what Google proposes which is to only serve the content to devices with the token, hence the backlash. It’s play along or no internet for you.

• grue@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Once such a token exists, escalation to requiring it is inevitable. Therefore, Apple is no less nefarious then Google here.

• LaggyKar@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Google’s proposal also has sites serve content to clients without the attestation, or at least so they claim in the repo (thus the proposal to make the check deliberately fail sometimes, so websites won’t rely on it. Of course, there is no guarantee it will stay that way, Google could change that policy whenever they want.

The main difference is really in Google’s dominance on the web. Sites can’t start requiring Safari, but they can start requiring Chrome or Safari.

• Joey@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Interesting article, I for sure didn’t noticed it.

I think that the tech behind this is quite interesting and useful, that is not the issue. The issue is, in my opinion, that the party that attests you are trusted is a firm like Apple, Google, or Microsoft. With all the antitrust implications of that.

Now we as a society need to make a decision, do we want to use this tech to make certain parts of the web more safe? And do we want to place that responsibility in the hands of firms, or should we want a government to pick up that responsibility?

Food for thought this is.

• ∟⊔⊤∦∣≶@lemmy.nz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Im cheering for apple?? Its a wierd time. This is why we have anti trust laws. Good to see it working. Edit: ignore this comment I was half asleep.

• CALIGVLA@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

?

I’m not sure I follow you. The article only mentions that Apple launched a similar DRM last year and that’s about it, nothing to do with anti-trust laws.

• ∟⊔⊤∦∣≶@lemmy.nz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I read this headline when I was half asleep at 4am and somehow understood it to mean Apple was firing back at Google. But no… completely the opposite. Goddammit.