Not really sure where to ask this, as even the Google answers are very confusing for me.

I’m interested in DIY consumer(?) electronics. For e.g I saw a video of someone buying a used tablet screen, a display board, and made himself a little portable monitor. Or I have a retro handheld, and some people open theirs up, and replace the speaker in it. They buy the actual little tiny speaker from China and put it in themselves.

This stuff is cool as hell how do I learn how to do this?? I know I can look up project guides and recreate them, but I’d eventually like to be able to do my own things (like if I want to make some kind of soldering change?) And I assume that requires more in depth knowledge.

I should also add I have absolutely 0 prior knowledge about electronics.

• Kite_height@eviltoast.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

Textbooks baby! As dry and technical as they are, that’s where all the good stuff is.

Practical Electronics for Inventors by Paul Scherz and Simon Monk.

They start with Electronics 101 stuff and move all the way into building robots by the end of the 1000 pages. It’ll take a loooong while to get through it all, especially if you’re building real life stuff as you go, but I’d argue you could get a job as an Electrical Engineer if you master that textbook alone lol.

For a quicker route, get your hands on an Arduino Kit and start experimenting with those parts, they’ll usually come with project ideas and instructions. Then move up to a RPi or down to a PIC microcontroller depending on your project needs. That’ll give you more practical knowledge but you won’t have a strong fundamental knowledge base.