cross-posted from: https://feddit.ch/post/4192351

New Manjaro Linux Gaming Handheld from OrangePi

This is exciting! A gaming handheld from a great open source hardware company that makes SBCs like the RP5. It looks to have all the quality features and combines the best of all the handhelds I’ve seen. This has me really excited.

I am wondering though what gaming on Manjaro Linux is like if anyone knows. I’ve heard of Bazzite and Nobara as well as Chimera and HoloISO which are all focused around gaming. Does Manjaro ship with all the gaming features preinstalled?

• Shadywack@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

To be honest, the default themes for many DE’s are actually pretty tasteful. Just vanilla Arch isn’t bad if you don’t mind running the pacman update command. I honestly recommend Nobara for people who want stability and point/click updates.

Endeavor is more like hobbyist UI purist, and not that well optimized. Arch is insanely optimized, as well as Nobara. I would recommend Ubuntu but, Snaps. Pop would be great if their major rebase was further along, so options are pretty limited. We’re in a weird transition right now as far as the major distros and overall performance metrics.

• DarkThoughts@fedia.io
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I’m currently running Nobara and personally cannot recommend it due to a lot of annoying issues. Can’t even drag & drop shit out of the FF download window into Dolphin, even though that was working fine on any other distro I used before (including Manjaro, which was still the most stable distro I used).

• Shadywack@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

That to me sounds like their wayland by default setup, which is really more about the wayland ecosystem and reliance on xwayland (although firefox is suppose to launch wayland native on Nobara with KDE).

I’m aware of a few quirks, but that sounds pretty specific. My experience with all DE’s right now has me pretty negative on Linux overall until we get fully migrated to wayland sessions with explicit sync working…and that’s a year off at least.

• DarkThoughts@fedia.io
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

Wayland is generally a huge mess. At least I can disable Fsync now, which caused my screen to go black for brief moments, especially when playing. Lots of other game or app specific issues remain as well…